Welcome to the world of Microsoft Teams bots!
Well, at least chatbots. These automated helpers are designed to answer questions or perform tasks by contacting them in the conversations or chat areas of Microsoft Teams. You can see the full list of currently available Bots below.
This list is updated frequently as new bots are added all of the time, so check out the latest list in your instance of Microsoft Teams.
You can add a bot to an existing Team and chat with a bot 1:1. Here is how to add a Bot to your Team:
- Click on the name of your Team.
- Click on the Bots tab.
- Click on the plus (+) sign to add a bot.
Here is how you can chat with a Bot 1:1:
- Add the Bot to any Team.
- When the Bot is added, it will post a message to the Conversations tab. Scroll over their name and click the Chat Icon at the bottom of the contact card. This will start a 1:1 chat.
The Bot usually posts instructions to the conversations tab in the General channel, so you either need to start using them right away or scroll back to understand how they work. A few of the Bots have a “help” tab in a 1:1 chat, so check there for help and instructions.
So far, my favorite Microsoft Teams bots are:
- Polly: conducts polls in your Team
- Bizzy: allows you to automate tasks using Microsoft Flow
- Cisco WebEx: for those that use WebEx for conferencing instead of skype
- Who: allows you to search for people in your organization